Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:11:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Rieck II, David" <rieck@brodart.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SMP-GENERIC

On 21-Dec-00 Rieck II, David wrote:
> Where can I download SMP-GENERIC?  I read
> http://people.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/gestarted.html.  In the document it says
> there is a SMP-GENERIC in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.  I do not have it.  I read
> the FreeBSD manual and noticed I did not have any source install so I ran
> /stand/sysinstall -> Configure -> Distributions -> src -> sys.  I now have
> the GENERICE but not the SMP-GENERIC.  I am running FreeBSD version 4.2.
> Where can I get the SMP-GENERIC kernel to compile?

It's easy to create, just copy GENERIC to SMP-GENERIC, and uncomment the
options 'SMP' and 'APIC_IO'.  There are comments in GENERIC that explain this:

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O