Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 08:46:31 +0800
From:      "Danny" <danny@pentalpha.com.hk>
To:        "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To: Danny <danny@pentalpha.com.hk>
Cc: FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: 01 August 1998 AM 05:27

>On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Danny wrote:
>
>> I had setup a FreeBSD mail server and it function good. One day suddenly,
>> user cannot check mail with it and send mail with  it. there is error
>> of -ERR POP timeout. When I reboot it, it stop when starting sendmail.
Can
>> you help me?
>
>Sounds like your nameserver fell over.  Check that it's running and check
>/etc/resolv.conf for correct configuration.
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

After waiting for long time, the system was started. However, all the user
need to wait for a very long time to login and check mail. The system seem
to be very slow. Also found a record of "unable to write
/var/run/sendmail.pid" in maillog.

I had checked the resolv.conf and it is ok. When I start "nslookup", it tell
me everything I want and very fast.

Danny