Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 01:32:47 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Various VGA, VGL, FB questions

> Why is there the same VGA code in dev/fb/vga.c and libvgl? I think
> especially of the set_palette routines.

The framebuffer code is a newer addition.  Libvgl was done quite a while =

ago as more or less a proof-of-concept.

> As a more general rule, what's the philosophy for the future of
> libvgl and framebuffer? Should VGL drawing routines be moved to
> dev/fb/vga.c?

The framebuffer should grow a set of drawing primitives, yes.  Exactly =

what these primitives is is probably open to discussion.  A good idea =

might be to look at the GGI project, which is producing =

BSD-license-compatible kernel-side graphics code.

> Finally, is someone working on this part of the tree currently?

You would want to check with Soren and Kazu, but I have not seen any =

activity recently.

-- =

=2E.. every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his