Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:12:12 +0100
From:      Peter McGarvey <Peter.McGarvey@telinco.net>
To:        FREEBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Q: IPFIREWALL or IPFILTER?

In building a new kernel, I can add support for IPFIREWALL and IPFILTER.

What I'd like to know is what's the difference?

And which is better?

And is both a bad idea?

The only firewalls I've ever dealt with are of the packet filtering sort
built into routers.  But now I'm playing with a FreeBSD box with 3 NICs
so it seems like a good time to learn a bit more about firewalls.
Discovering that FreeBSD supports two I went looking for some sort of
comparison between the two.  But couldn't find anything.  Hence, the
above questions.

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey, Unix Administrator
Network Operations Center, Telinco Limited