Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:20:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Craig Burgess" <craig-burgess@home.net>
Cc:        <lecn1306@ele.etsmtl.ca>, ": Kees Jan Koster" <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Syslog reports weird things

Craig Burgess writes:
 > I am running no mods to console. I am attaching the kernel configuration
 > file and dmesg in case they help. I suspect that **something** changed
 > between 4.1.1 and 4.2 which is when I discovered the problem here. I have
 > been running the same hardware since version 3.  I'd send my system to you
 > for testing purposes but would it be enough help if you had root access?
 > It's the next best thing to sending the machine.

About the only commonality that I see that your machines have and that
mine lacks is the xl nic, but I really doubt that's the problem.

Hmm.. What do your /etc/ttys files look like?  Specifically, what are
the settings for the console, vtyv0 and ttyd0 lines.  Eg, I have:

console none                            unknown off secure
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure

What happens if you flip off the getty on your "console" device?
Does this help? (reboot or kill -HUP 1 for it to take effect)

Drew