Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:48:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, Ian Jenkinson <ian.jenkinson@blueyonder.co.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads in Java on a variety of platforms

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 02:38:50PM +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:42:06AM +0930, Greg Lewis wrote:
> This is something that has been bugging me for a while: would it be good to
> implement the native threads in FreeBSD under LinuxThreads or NGPT? I see that
> KSE's are taking off, but there is a long way ahead. I am thinking of something
> like a straight port of the Linux JDK native threads. Have you contemplated this
> in your 1.3 porting efforts, or did you stick to green threads?

At the moment, I've only gotten green threads "working" in the 1.3.1 port.
However, I think that a LinuxThreads or NGPT implementation of native
threads may be useful until KSE's become standard on FreeBSD.  Saying that,
it would likely be restricted to source code patches and not
become part of any binary distribution we may be able to make due to
the licensing.  We might be able to work on that though, given they are
both LGPL rather than GPL (I think, not 100% sure on NGPT).  The primary
threading mechanism for native threads would always be something that
came as part of the stock FreeBSD distribution however.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494