Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 02:18:25 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc completeness

* Peter Jeremy (peter@rulingia.com) wrote:

> [...]
 Pro
> >>=20
> >> Another con:  "make delete-old" on -current takes about 2 orders of
> >> magnitude longer to run than on 8.x.  I would prefer to see some
> >> effort put into speeding it up before it was backported.
> >
> >Is that really a reason while it is still under 4 seconds and is not
> >usually run more often than updates (which take minutes if not hours)?
>=20
> My experience is that it now takes about 2=C2=BD minutes on 10.x with w=
arm
> caches, compared to less than 1 second on 8.x.

Now =3D after applying my patch or after changing system? Which knobs
were enabled?

OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc is 3x larger after the patch - it's expected
for things to become 3x slower, but definitely not 250x.

> For most of that time, there's no output and there's no warning
> of the increased time. I actually wrote about the poor performance
> here a couple of weeks ago.

Then you should try to profile it - my script basically runs
delete-old delete-old-libs for every knob (131 of them), and it
hadn't taken more than 4 seconds even once.

--=20
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3@amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru