Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:14:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netatalk hangs

Joe:

Thanks for your reply. I am using netatalk-1.5p6_1. I just built the port
to replace netatalk-1.4b2+asun. So far the only difference I notice it the
icon on the Mac desktop.

The  afpd.conf file in its examples seciton says the simplest case is not
to have an afpd.conf file. I left everything commeneted out.

If leave the configuration files the way they were when I installed, I
get:  "netatalkd in realloc() warning: chunk is already free atalkd in
free() warning: chunk is already free" at startup.

My atalkd.conf file now consists of the following line:

dc0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.14

makikng it the only line in the file, I don't get the realloc() and free()
warnings.

The behavior in the Mac remains the same. I log into the fileserver, and
when I try to copy files to it, it hangs. Sometimes the fileserver shuts
down by itself, and sometimes I have to do a paper clip shutdown.

If I delete the .AppleDesktop .AppleDouble and "Network Trash Folder"
directories, then I can copy one file to the server, but it will hang on
subsequent copies, showing "afpd[377]: atp_rresp: Operation timed out"
and "afpd[377]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Operation timed out" on the
Unix console, and a message on the Mac saying that the fileserver has
unexpectedly shut down.

Once I got a console message saying that afpd did not have permission
do a chown on .AppleDouble, but I have not been able to duplicate that.

Thanks,

suleyman@echonyc.com