Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:42:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: I Created an Interesting Permission Problem.

On 16-Apr-2003 Martin McCormick wrote:
>       I just added a new secondary drive to enlarge the /usr/home
> file system and it is working as expected for the most part.  The part
> that has me confused became apparent when a cron-driven script in one
> of our user directories successfully ran but produced this warning:
>
> mv: ./testfile: set owner/group (was: 1003/0): Operation not permitted
>
>       The script did the following:  It created a file in /tmp and,
> like any such file, it's ownership looks like owner:wheel.  If you mv
> that file back to your user directory, the mv used to happen silently
> but still retain the owner:wheel permissions.
>
>       Now, I do get the file back in the user's directory with
> permissions of owner:owner instead of owner:wheel and I get that
> warning.
>
>       I figure it might be in the way I mounted /usr/home
>
> /dev/da1s1    /usr/home       ufs rw  2 2
>
> or maybe I made some subtle change to /usr or /usr/home, but they look
> like they do on every other FreeBSD system I can look at.
>
> drwxr-xr-x  16 root   wheel      512 Mar 12 12:36 usr
> drwxr-xr-x  28 root  wheel  1024 Apr 15 20:02 home
>
>       What else might cause this change in behavior?

what's your permissions on tmp?

localhost.dread$ ls -l / | grep tmp
drwxrwxrwt  28 root  wheel     5632 Apr 16 13:35 tmp

localhost.dread$ ls >/tmp/testfile
localhost.dread$ ls -l /tmp |grep testfile
-rw-r--r--  1 dread  wheel     1115 Apr 16 13:35 testfile
localhost.dread$ mv /tmp/testfile .
localhost.dread$ ls -l |grep testfile
-rw-r--r--   1 dread  wheel    1115 Apr 16 13:35 testfile

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       dread@texas.net
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to