Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:25:21 -0500
From:      Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
To:        vehemens <vehemens@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

,--- You/vehemens (Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:53:58 -0800) ----*
| In general when upgrading, you take your chances.  If a port upgrade
| fails, you should fall back to what worked.

So, a *fundamental* (practically an OS component) port is brought in
-- and it disables my system.  What is my way of action?  Right --
install the old packages, taken from an FTP site (is there a way to
get the previous "source", that is all the ports/*/*/Makefile files?
Csup can only go forward -- or can it go back?)

When I install the old packages, I can no longer rebuild and install
new (say `csup'ed on 2009-03-01) port components, as one whole -- I
can only do it selectively, excluding from the upgrade most
X-dependent things.  That sucks and will lead to a problem earlier or
later.

| Trying to partial rebuild ports versus rebuilding from scratch after
| a major update is just asking for problems.

Exactly -- but I haven't done this -- and I have big problems with the
new X.

| There probably needs to be a more incremental approach when
| upgrading major ports.  For example, I updated my system a piece at
| a time over the last several months, and had no significant problems
| with the offical x11 upgrade as the changes were small.

I've been rebuilding and reinstalling ports every weekend, for about
1.5 years -- with no problem until the last one, when the new X was
in.

| And last, many of the video drivers have little if any support.  If
| you have something other then ati/intel/nivdia, you should expect
| problems.  Input drivers are in a similar state.

Both my systems I've been reporting problems with are using the `nv'
driver:

  $ grep /modules/drivers /var/log/Xorg.0.log
  (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so

One system (Dell Latitude) could not be made operational with the new
X at all; the other has garbage in the windows and the "captive mouse
pointer" -- both issues new in the new X.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --