Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:54:35 +0200 (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Westeurop=E4ische_Sommerzeit?=)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        "Tim J. Robbins" <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: standards/41576: POSIX compliance of ln(1)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Lukas Ertl wrote:

> 1) $ ln -sf bar bla
>
> and
>
> 2) $ ln -sf bar bla/
>
> The first version should replace the symlink, the second one should creat=
> a new symlink in the already referenced directory (as it currently happen=
> on FreeBSD). ln on AIX does exactly that. Of course, AIX could be
> completely broken (as usual :-), but this is how I read the standard.

Has someone of you thought about this one since then? I have taken a look
at the source code and AFAICS if we implement it like this we would have
to throw out the -h option. I don't know if this would break a lot of
things and if it would be a good idea.

What do you think about it?

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/