Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 07:54:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@freebsd.org (current)
Subject:   Re: Warning: SCSI reprobing is hazardous to your health?

J Wunsch écrit / writes:

> [Moved to freebsd-scsi.]
>
> > 	- Has anybody heard of this kind of behaviour ?

> The only known problem is configuring the kernel dump area to a swap
> partition that starts at offset 0 of the disk.  There's an open PR by
> me for it:
>
> [1995/10/26] kern/794      swap partition at offset 0 still broken
>
> The core dump consistently trashes the disklabel in this case.

	[stupid grin]

	Look no further:

#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:    40960    98304    4.2BSD        0     0     0 	# (Cyl.   48 - 67)
  b:    98304        0      swap                    	# (Cyl.    0 - 47)
  c:  2090976        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 1020*)

	I repartitioned my disk a couple of days ago, and I put swap first.

	I wish I knew about that behahviour before though, if I'm going to have to rewrite disklabel every time the system barfs (including the bootblocks).

	It would be nice to have it mentioned in sysinstall until it is fixed.

								-- Phil
--
- [ regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net / +48.8N+2.3E / +33 1 4507 9391 / Sol 3 ] -
- [ regnauld@freenix.fr		 / FreeBSD 2.x /  			 ] -