Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2016 08:33:15 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   Moving to synth (was: Removing documentation)

Sorry, I'm not subscribed to the list so I have to recreate emails when
I I'm not included in the reply.

Michel Talon wrote:
> Needless to say, no port named ada under lang, finally found it was
> gcc5-aux. Downloaded the packages for gcc5-aux and ncurses the port for synth from SVN repository, and began compiling.
> Somewhere the build broke because of unsupported
> pragma Suppress (Tampering_Check);

This part was unfortunate.
First it was available as a package (although not 0.99_6).  Secondly, it
would have been built with the equivalent of "cd
/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth" which would have brought in the Ada port
automatically, and the correct one.  It needs gcc6-aux specifically
because the Tampering_Check is not available on gcc5_aux.  It's not
clear why you built the dependencies separately and I'm sorry about the
issues that caused.

> Frankly one first prerequisite for having this discussion is that the
> *package* synth is ready to be downloaded

But it was available.  At least 0.99_5.
Are you on quarterly packages?  It's available in the head.

> Then it asked me to scan the ports tree which took ages,

This was a criticism first brought by Adamw@, it's a full tree scan that
occurs before installation.  I think I've figured out a way to reduce
this to limit the scan to just what is necessary, but I was planning on
bringing that out on version 1.10.  I want version 1.00 to go out soon.

By the way, part of the reason it takes ages on FreeBSD (and not
DragonFly) is because nobody is trying to fix the absolutely horrible
USES=compiler:features implementation that a large portion of the tree
uses.  It tests compiler feature by compiling programs for each and
every port that has this USES set (directly or indirectly) and to me it
is something that never should have been implemented this way.

> This little story leads me to a second prerequisite, produce a more
> complete documentation describing exactly
> what synth does, how to solve buggy situations etc.

The man page is complete, and did you how about the graphic "how to" on
github:  see README.md here: https://github.com/jrmarino/synth  (with
pictures)

That you for perserving and trying Synth out, Michel!  That's all I was
asking.

John