Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:27:47 +0200
From:      Ingolf Koch <ingolf@jellonet.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alternate idle hangup algorithm

Hi,

my ISP charges a fixed amount of money per started minute.
And I would like the link to be idle for at least two
minutes before it is hung up automatically (to keep an
application running which only transmits packets every
1,5 minutes).

If I understand the i4b manual correctly, this is not
possible at the moment. It would be nice to have an
alternate algorithm for the auto hangup which allows for
minimum idle times which are longer than the unit length.

This algorithm could be something like the following:

1. generally: store the timestamp of the last received/
   transmitted packet somewhere (this is probably
   already implemented)

2. start a timer which times out <earlyhangup> seconds
   before the (expected) end of the current unit

3. when this timeout occurs, check if both the timestamps
   of the last received/transmitted packet are older than
   idletime-incoming/idletime-outgoing, hangup the
   connection, else repeat step #2

If my above assumption is wrong (i.e. if this is already
possible with i4b-00.90.00), please correct me and point
me to a solution of this problem. Thanks.

    Ingolf
--

Ingolf Koch     ICQ#60829470     Beste Kneipe in Jena-Ost
PGP: 0x7B3B5661  213C 828E 0C92 16B5  05D0 4D5B A324 EC04