Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:32:44 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problems installing 4.x on large disks

Of the full-height 5.25 SCSI drives that I remember working with 10+ years
ago most failures of those were of Maxtor with Fujitsu right next to them.

I also remember the 486/66 Gateways about 9 years ago that wouldn't accept
Maxtor IDE drives would accept Western Digital and Seagate.

In probably the last 5 years, though, I don't recall seeing as many Maxtor
IDE drives in OEM equipment as Seagate and Western Digital.  This was
probably due to
marketing.  I can say that not since the full-height days have I ever seen
a Maxtor SCSI drive in production.

> Just the opposite in this case. The SCSI drive was a Seagate Barracude
> 9LP on a 7890, 7200 PRM with a 7.4ms seek time. The IDE drive was a
> Maxtor DiamondMax plus, 7200rpm with a 9ms seek time. The test
> software was bonnie.

I'm assuming that since you didn't say AHA2940U2 that this was an on-board
AIC 7890.  Those usually have a BIOS configuration that needs to be set
to tell it to negotiate at the highest speed the drive would operate it.
I'm not familiar with bonnie to know what it is testing.

Ted