Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:55:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley216.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't Boot into FreeBSD

cc: pruned...

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Chris Csanady wrote:

> FWIW, I am really disgusted with the fact that it is so difficult to have
> multiple operating systems installed.  All the bootloaders I have seen
> suck rocks.  It would be nice to have a simple *functional* one included
> with the OS.  I mean booting is a rather important thing.  I just installed
> linux as well, and have been stuck with using LILO to boot freebsd.  Not that
> it worked from the linux install, on the contrary, after the install I couldnt
> even get it to boot linux, save the OS's that I care about.  Worthless..

I'll sort of come to our defense here....

1.  Booteasy is very very very very very particular about disk geometry.
The partition table's geometry *must* be right (from a DOS point of view)
or else it gets stuck and loops.

2.  If you have a really goofy setup then booteasy flops.  OS-BS, System
Commander, OS/2 Boot Manager, and other more robust boot managers are good
options for such setups.

> The boot device really should be remembered by the boot blocks, or settable
> somehow.  I was hoping it would be in 2.2 :(

I need to reseach this, but I keep seeing things about something called
"rawboot".  I'm guessing this is some way of writing options into the boot
blocks, but I'm not sure at all about it.  You might dig in the archives
for the hackers list.

> For all the complaining I've done, I would like to mention how much I love
> FreeBSD, and thank those who make it possible.  Aside from the multi-OS
> booting(which is not really FreeBSD's fault), it really is an incredible os..

Agreed.  The PC wasn't well built for multisystem booting, it's surprising
it works as is.  :)