Date:      20 Dec 2001 23:06:31 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Jaideep Bhatia <jaideep.bhatia@wipro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Gnome Woes

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 22:37, Jaideep Bhatia wrote:
> I have been able to run gnome with xdm. Gdm as the login manager dosen;t
> start at all. I have added a user and the group gdm. And the user gdm
> dosen't belong to group wheel or any other group. But gdm never starts
> saying "gdm should not be started as root"?
> 	Any ideas what I might be missing?

gdm's port comes with some instructions for installing it, and getting
it to run.  Firs,t I would compile the latest gdm from ports
(gdm-2.2.5.2_1).  Then, create a user gdm that looks like:

gdm:*:91:91::0:0:GDM Sandbox:/:/sbin/nologin

Keep the UID and GID 91 as it will make upgrading easier.  Then, create
a gdm group:

gdm:*:91:

Then:

chown -R gdm:gdm /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gdm

Then, as root, type gdm from the prompt.  It should start.  For
automatic start, you can use /etc/ttys, or create a rc script in
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d like:

#!/bin/sh

PREFIX=/usr/X11R6

case "$1" in