Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:17:38 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP broken on PPro

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 02:51:46AM -0800, David Schultz wrote:

> Thus spake Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>:
>
> > I decided to do another build/install world/kernel today and the
> > PPro machine panics as soon as the new kernel starts to load.  I can
> > run the machine fine with Friday's kernel however.  All of the other
> > SMP machines are working fine.  I checked the BIOS of the problem
> > machine and it is set for MP Spec 1.4.
>
> I have had no trouble with UP -STABLE running on a dual PPro system,
> but I'm getting an early panic in UP and SMP -CURRENT on the same
> system.  I will post details to current@ soon if I can't figure out
> the problem.

The problem on -STABLE is with /sys/i386/i386/machdep.c, revision
1.385.2.26.  I am not smart enough to know exactly what is wrong
with the diff but reverting back to revision 1.385.2.25 of
/sys/i386/i386/machdep.c fixes the problem.

Apparently, the problem is BIOS specific so that explains why I only saw
it on one of my machines (the oldest) and not the others. This would
also explain why other people have not seen the problem.  At this point
I would say that the problem really has nothing to do with SMP, it just
so happened that I experienced the problem on an SMP machine.

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252