Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 05:20:42 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

>> > Linux is in the forefront of the free software crusade. Linux is the
>> > most visible. We should all cheer the success of Linux.
>>
>> The Linux tide is raising all Unix boats.  Support it along side
>> *BSD, and run what you want.
>
>Yes, it is true that linux is at the forefront and that perhaps there
>are lessons to be learned on how are they doing it .

   Food for thought: Linux started a little more than 2 years before we did.
Growth of both OS's has been exponential, doubling about every year. For
the past 5 years or so, Linux was estimated to have about 5 times as many
users as FreeBSD; in the past year that estimated ratio has decreased to
about 4 times, apparantly not because growth of FreeBSD has accelerated,
but because Linux growth has decelerated. Evidence of this is in the
WC CDROM sales figures for Slackware Linux where growth has slowed from
exponential to linear.

-DG

David Greenman