Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 01:14:13 +0100
From:      Shawn <shawnh@f2s.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange pauses and cpu usage - FreeBSD 6.1

I'm having a strange problem with cpu usage with my Athlon XP. Every so
often there seems to be a pause where the system comes under heavy
load for no apparent reason. If xmms was playing then I get a buzz sound
and the mouse pointer stops just for a split second, the same with
mplayer and vlc. Using Opera or firefox also seems to have a strange
effect where the mouse pointer freezes while pages load, and if there
is an animated gif on the page the cpu usage goes to 100%.

The jabber client Gajim also makes the cpu get stuck at 100%. When I
used gnome, nautilus did the same thing until i stopped and started the
process in the system monitor. I have searched around and found this
tip from the handbook but it had no effect.

hint.apic.0.disabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf

This happens with the generic kernel and the one i compiled for myself.
It also lasts for a random amount of time, sometimes it is barely
noticeable and sometimes it happens for over a second. Running
neverwinter nights makes the system pause for 10-20 seconds seemingly
randomly.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!