Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:27:52 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Kenan" <info@djkenan.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600 Power Management Issues (HD turned on and off)

> From: "Kenan" <info@djkenan.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:42:41 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I have recently installed 4.5-stable on a Thinkpad 600X (BIOS version
> ITET53WW), and the hard drive sounds like it is being turned on and off
> every few seconds.  This was happening after the default install, and it
> is still happening after the custom kernel build.  (I haven't done
> anything specific for power management in the custom kernel other than
> leaving the "device apm0 at nexus?" option, which was there in the
> GENERIC anyway.)  The kernel file is attached for anyone interested.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on this?

Please stop sending all the HTML crap to FreeBSD lists!

As to your problem, it's probably BIOS. Most ThinkPads, including the
600X, use a DOS utility, PS2, to configure BIOS. Only a very few
things can be configured from the startup BIOS screen. PS2 is
available as a bootable floppy image from the IBM web site. Look for
"DOS Configuration Utility" in downloads.

"ps2 ?" will get you started. There are LOTS of APM options including
disk spin-down. I have my system configured to spin down the disk
after a minute when on battery power and that works OK. I have it
leave the disk spun up when plugged into AC power.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)