Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:48:26 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64 List <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: major pita w/LSI Tyan TA26 combo

On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:43 PM, Freddie Cash wrote:

> The official word from LSI Support is:  they do not support any RAID
> controllers connected to riser cards, no matter what the OS.  Go
> that via
> e-mail from one of their support techs and one of their RAID
> engineers.

Interesting... They never said that to me.  I have an issue with an
external Dell Powervault array that always reports failure of
whatever is in position 0 once the array is active.  It will format
it, etc. without failure.  If I swap the channels on the 320-2X card,
the error stays with position 0 on the array.  If I drop the channel
down to U160 from U320, no errors.  This leads me to believe that the
backplane of the array box is not up to spec for U320.

The funny thing is that and Adaptec 2230SLP card has no issues with
the array whatsoever.  I've not had problems with LSI cards on risers
before.