Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 21:52:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, john@zyqad.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Sat, 12 Aug 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > On Sat, 12 Aug 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> > > Sorry? They're lying/mistaken. It used to be a 2GB limit (not 4 - they
> > > were unsigned ints), but that restriction vanished quite a while ago
> > > (somewhere between 2.0 and 2.0.5). AFAIR, it's now 1TB.
> >
> > 	Oh okay, then that wouldn't be a problem to use a 9GB drive.
> >
> > > And the drive is a Micropolis 1991.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, are they pretty good and quiet of a drive or would I be
> > better off with a Seageate or Quantum (If they make one)?
>
> _The_ 9G drive to have is the Micropolis 1991.  Quantum does not
> make a drive in this capacity (or didn't as of my last product brief
> update 4 weeks ago) and I wouldn't trust 9G of data to Seagates version
> of the 9G drive.  [About the only Seagate I will even sell right now is
> the Hawk series as it has shown to be one of Seagates good drive lines]

	Now what's wrong with Seagates 9GB drive since I thought only the
Barracuda's had problem while the 9GB was another series of drives
altogether and isn't Seagate drives using the CDC/Imprimus technology
they bought many years ago?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center