Date:      Fri, 27 May 2011 20:19:51 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        "tom@diogunix.com" <tom@diogunix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPRS/UMTS device for a FreeBSD notebook ?

El día Friday, May 27, 2011 a las 07:05:04PM +0200, tom@diogunix.com escribió:

> Hello all,
>
> I've already google'd for a while on this topic but could not really find
> information about what GPRS/UMTS/WLAN expresscard or USB device runs fine on
> a FreeBSD notebook regarding drivers available and configuration.
>
> Actually I wanted to buy an Option Globetrotter Express (ExpressCard) but it
> seems there might be issues with FreeBSD.
>
> Are there any recommendations on with which hardware get GPRS/UMTS/WLAN
> running on a FreeBSD notebook ?

I don't know if a device exists supporting GPRS/UTMS and WLAN at the
same time. For GPRS/UTMS I'm using for many years a Huawei E220 USB
dongle. Check u3g(4) man page what is supported in your version of
FreeBSD and try to get an USB key or dongle of exact this type, ignore
what your provider is offering (they will support only Win and Mac,
and hotline will not even know about what you are talking if you ask them
for PPP/LCP/CHAP parameters).

I'm used to travel a lot in Europe and never had problems with the
ppp.conf config, not even in roaming networks -- they use all the same
handshake values.

Check out my page http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC-8CURRENT.txt
chapter 6, if you need details.

HIH

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211