Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:45:57 -0700
From:      Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
To:        Christer Solskogen <solskogen@carebears.mine.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keymap and rc.conf

Christer Solskogen wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I`m having a bit problem with my keysettings with FreeBSD AMD64.
>Its seems like FreeBSD dont care about my settings in rc.conf.
>I also have a machine running FreeBSD i386, with the same settings
>in rc.conf, and it works on that arch.
>
>Just to be sure, I have included my rc.conf. (which is just like
>the rc.conf on the i386)
>
># This is really done in rc.conf --->>>>>
>defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
>hostname="funshine.carebears.net"
>ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.0.9 mtu 1492 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>nfs_client_enable="YES"
>sshd_enable="YES"
>usbd_enable="YES"
>sendmail_enable="NONE"
>keymap="norwegian.iso"
>keyrate="fast"
>rpcbind_enable="YES"
># This is /not/ beeing done.
>font8x8="iso-8x8"
>font8x14="iso-8x14"
>font8x16="iso-8x16"
>allscreens_flags="80x50"
>---
>
>Even the "allscreens_flag" is not taken care of.
>But here come the bug question!
>If I run /stand/sysinstall, and selects my options; my keyboard
>works with norwegian options and all. But it wont hold after
>a reboot.
>
>Tips, anyone?
>
>(Running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8 on amd64)

Greetings, fellow norwegian!! Er du på NOBUG-lista? Den er jammen
stille, må jeg si. ;-)

I'm having the exact same problem as you. I have the keymap setting in
rc.conf, but the bootup process doesn't honor it at all. It does, in
fact, not honor any setting that has to do with syscons, as keyrate,
screenmap and such does not work either. I dug around, and it seems the
/etc/rc.d/syscons script is skipped during startup, for some obscure
reason. Running 5.2.1-RELEASE-p0 I am, and I have just cvsupped hoping
that it'd be fixed. No such luck, I see. :-/

I wonder if this is an issue with other scripts in /etc/rc.d as well?
Haven't tried too much, I admit.

Anyways, on a per session basis, I find that kbdmap is ideal to use for
setting the keymap. It's a lot faster that /stand/sysinstall, and
doesn't add a line to /etc/rc.conf every time.