Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 19:32:22 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *really* dumb library question

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 01:02:07AM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:

> I'm sure this is very simple, but it suddenly occurred to me i don't
> know the answer.  If i have one library installed, then i install
> another port that installs a newer version of the library, how do i
> get rid of the  old one?  Can i just 'pkg_delete' the port and the
> old lib, then 'make install' the port again, and let the makefile
> figure out the new library is there?

It depends on weather or not the library was installed as a package.  If
it was, then it can be removed like any other package.  However, some
library packages are installed as dependencies of other packages.  You
can check what packages depend on glib-1.2.8 with the following command:

# find /var/db/pkg -name '+CONTENTS' -print | xargs grep '^@pkgdep' \
    | grep 'glib-1\.2\.8' | cut -d/ -f5

Other libraries are distributed with the base system.  You should not
attempt to remove them.

-brian

> Thanks a lot.  If anyone has a libraries FAQ, please point me in the
> right direction.  :)
>

> Jonathon
> --
> When I die, I want to go in my sleep, like my grandfather.
> Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Brian O'Shea
<boshea@ricochet.net>