Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:27:54 +0100
From:      Andreas Ziethén <pry@crosswinds.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem booting into FreeBSD

I installed FreeBSD version 4.3 tonight and got it up running quite
nicely. I also have Windows installed so I chose to install the
boot manager, which worked fine, except since it edited my MBR I
could no longer loaded the Dynamic Driver Overlay that my secondary
hard drive requires to function. After trying to configure the HD to
function without altering the MBR again and not being very successful
I decided to set the MBR back to its original state, meaning no boot
manager.

I have since been unable to load FreeBSD. I checked the FAQ and some
other documentation and tried downloading a file called FBSDBOOT.EXE
which was supposed to be able to boot FBSD from a dos partition, but
whenever I try to use it I simply get the error message:
"Invalid format!" or "Sorry, can't open c:\kernel!" when I use the
parameter -D.

I've also tried downloading two files called boot.bin and bootinst.exe
that were supposed to edit the MBR, if I understood the description
correctly, but when I try using it I get the message:
"Error 3 updating boot record on disk 0" and
"Error 3 updating boot record on disk 1". One for each disk.

When I first start the program it shows the partitions with right sizes
and calls disk 1 "bigdos" and 2 "386BSD". After getting the first
error message it simply calls both disk 1 and 2 "?????".

What I'd like to know is either how to set up the boot manager to first
load the DDO and then let me select an OS, or otherwise if it's possible
to boot into FBSD using some form of boot diskette.

Updating the BIOS to detect the large HD properly is not an option
simply because I've been unable to find a patch for my particular BIOS,
the manufacturers webpage has links for most of its boards, but not the
particular one I'm using, at the moment I've misplaced the exact name of
it.

I hope I didn't make this too long.

Sincerely,
Andreas Ziethén