Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:09:27 +0000
From:      Norman Gray <norman.gray@glasgow.ac.uk>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Files in /

Paul, hello.

On 4 Dec 2018, at 6:37, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> When I use ls -lsah /root, I get a completely different list of files.
>
> But neither of these utilities show 627M used in root. Why can't I see
> what's using all this space in root? Am I using the wrong utilities to
> view the files? Is it something else?

The confusion may arise from an incomplete understanding of the term
'the root filesystem'.

That term refers to the filesystem starting at '/' (or, more precisely,
the on-disk structure which is mounted at the root directory '/').
That's distinct from '/root', which is merely a directory which is the
home directory of the user called 'root', which lives under '/'.
There's no real connection between these two uses of the word 'root',
but now you come to mention it, I can see where confusion is possible.

As Michael says, there's other stuff in the root directory '/':

% ls -F /
COPYRIGHT	etc/		mnt/		root/		var/
bin/		home/		net/		sbin/		zroot/
boot/		lib/		pool/		sys@