Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:56:57 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem paradox, take 2

On 9 Jun 2002, at 9:26, Stephen Hovey boldly uttered:

> > to mount:
> >
> > mountroot> ufs:/dev/amrd0s2a
> >
> > ..it mounts root read-only because it tells me the filesystem is
> > dirty so I have to run fsck. But!!  fsck won't run, because it
> > depends on /etc/fstab to tell it what filesystems to check, and I see
> > no way to manually specify a device!  AND, I can't edit fstab,
> > because it's on / and / is mounted read-only! Argh!
>
> You can specify what to fsck - I believe its just
> fsck /dev/ramrd0s1a  (the raw one not the block one)

Apparently you're right, I just tested this on another box.  I was
certain I tried this on the original machine and it didn't work...
hmm. (also the manpage for fsck uses the term "filesystem" in the
command syntax.. I always parsed that to mean something like "/var",
rather than the raw device ie "/dev/da0s1e"..)

> > PS: my next try is going to be deleting the FreeBSD slice from the
> > RAID logical drive, boot off fixit CD, create a new FreeBSD slice,
> > use disklabel to re-create all the filesystems, and copy/restore it
> > in the conventional way - ie with a dump/restore or tar/untar pipe.
> > But I sure wish I didn't have to go through all that..
>
> The cleanest way, when all the hardware has changed (not only diff
> controllers but you went to raid) is ALWAYS to restore from a backup of
> the upper layer because the lower layer stuff (in my experience anyway)
> will always mess ya up - if you approached it that way, then you would
> have 'to go through all that..' that you are goin thru tryin to do a
> direct image!  You'd be done already and havin a beer!

Yep, well it did work that way -- although I guess I've been spoiled
by how easy it is to image-copy Windows boxes.  The reason I spent so
much time on it this time was I looked at it as a learning
experience.

BTW, the transfer rate when using the DOS imaging tools (DriveImage)
was around 500MB/min, and using dump | restore with 64kb blocksize
was about 1.2MB/min.  This was mitigated somewhat by the fact that
since DriveImage doesn't natively understand UFS partitions, it had
to copy every sector. (It does understand Linux ext2 partitions, and
I've suggested to them in the past to consider this for FreeBSD, but
nothing yet)

Thanks again,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium