Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 09:03:21 -0500
From:      "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Why can't I cd to some of my directories?

Greetings,

I'm re-sending this in plain text... sorry about the html codes in the
last post.

Sometimes when I try to cd to a directory like /usr/local/... I get an
error message reading: Can't cd to ...
I then try to cd one level down at a time.  cd /usr  then pwd to find
out I actually made the trip.  Then cd local and I get something like,
"Sorry, can't cd to /usr/local."  Why?  I'm logged in as root.

Now that I'm thinking about it, after I mount my CD  ROM, I can see the
files on it and everything, but, for some reason, I can't unmount it and
I can't get back to a directory on my BSD hard drive where root is
mounted.  What's up?

BTW, I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that I just got an email
confirmation that my Complete FreeBSD 4.0 Book was shipped yesterday
(May 26) from Walnut Creek.

Thanks

Mark