Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 15:31:46 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        gouders@et.bocholt.fh-ge.de
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Markup in faq/book.sgml

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 09:09:55AM +0100, gouders@et.bocholt.fh-ge.de wrote:
> I am currently working on a German translation of the FAQ.  Up to now
> I summed up some questions and want to ask them today, because I'd
> like to start a new "question buffer sheet":
>
> 1) I was not able to look up the meaning of the phrases "jello
>    wrestling" and "new-fangled".  Could anybody explain these phrases
>    to me?

"jello wrestling" -- a futile, or worthless task.

> 2) In chapter one I found a reference to /etc/hosts which is not
>    marked up as <filename>/etc/hosts</filename>.  It would help me, if
>    someone could tell me, how and to whom I should report comments
>    concerning the original (english) FAQ.

To here, ideally as PRs.

Can you tell me where you saw this problem, as I can't see it after doing
a quick check.

> 3) The preface contains the question
>    "How do I access your Problem Report database?" and the answer
>    starts like "The Problem Report database of all open user change
>    requests...".  Is it correct that the word "open" is used in the
>    meaning of "not finished" and not in the meaning of "publicly
>    available"?  If true, what happens to "closed" requests? (Just for
>    information)

The text is wrong, and the word "open" shouldn't be there.  It does mean
all the PRs that aren't closed, but the web interface lets you look at
all the ones that are closed as well.  I've removed the word "open" from
that text.

Thanks,

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell