Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:01:57 -0400
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SBLive! on FreeBSD 4.0 HOWTO

(The following information was provided by Christopher Holden and
Martin Minkus. I'm just putting it all together).

Thanks to the above-mentioned, I am no longer using my SBLive! card for
a paper-weight. So far I have only used it to play CD sound and mp3
files, so on performance your mileage may vary. Anyway, here
is a step-by-step of what I did:

1) Go to:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/

and download the following two files:

emu10k1.c
emu10k1.h

2) Edit emu10k1.c. Look for the following line:

codec = ac97_create(dev, sc, NULL, emu_rdcd, emu_wrcd);

Remove the NULL entry. It should now say:

codec = ac97_create(dev, sc, emu_rdcd, emu_wrcd);

3) Place these files in /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci. You may also wish
to keep a backup so your first CVSUP doesn't flush them down the
toilet.

4) Edit /usr/src/sys/conf/files and insert the following line in the
appropriate place (You know....alphabetically?):

dev/sound/pci/emu10k1.c optional pcm pci

(You may also wish to keep this file safe from the Tidy-Bowl Man).

5) Edit your kernel config file and make sure it has the following two
devices:

device    pcm
device    pci

Christopher also mentioned device sbc. Not sure what this serves,
but I am going to add it in a minute to see what happens as ac_97
is saying my DAC is not ready.

6) Recompile your kernel and reboot. dmesg should show the following:

pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xe400-0xe41f irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
pcm0: ac97 codec reports dac not ready (Maybe you won't get this)
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1102, dev=0x7002) at 9.1

Cat /dev/sndstat should show:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Apr  7 2000 13:12:21
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xe400 irq 10 (1p/0r channels duplex)

or something similar, io and irq may vary.

7) You may have to go into /dev and type ./MAKEDEV snd0, but not sure
about this.

That's all I've done so far, will post a follow-up as to whether device
sbc clears up my DAC problem. I also notice midi is not working. If
anyone has a problem with this HOWTO or has more to add, feel free to
do so. Just make the changes and repost, you do not need to quote.

I would also appreciate some feedback about if this worked. Just reply
to me, no need to clutter the mail lists.

Good luck!

--
Walter Brameld

Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
Walter:    And what does THIS button do??