Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2012 05:31:33 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:02:27 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 01:33:58PM -0500, Robert Bonomi wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:50:26 +0100
> > > From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
> > > To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> > > Subject: editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U
> > >
> > > My daughter is doing a touch typing course
> > > that presumes MS Word. So far she was fine
> > > with pico, but now they want the kids to
> > > practice CTRL/B (bold), CTRL/I (italic),
> > > CTRL/U (underline). She really needs to use
> > > these particular combinations because that
> > > is how the on-line assessment tool is set out.
> > >
> > > I use nothing but vi, so have no clue which,
> > > if any, editor from ports/editors will have
> > > these particular combinations implemented.
> > >
> > > Please recommend one, preferably as simple
> > > and as small as possible.
> >
> > Sorry *NO* 'text editor' has those capabilities, let alone has
> > them on those key sequences.
> >
> > Those are 'word processor' functions.  word processor' software
> > is required.
>
> I know, I know..

Seems that your "better paid friends" at the board of
education do _not_ know. :-)

> I don't know why in a touchtyping course
> you need to teach kids this, but..

WHAT? Let me get some food, I need to barf. What does this
have to do with touchtyping? What an educational ballast
are they teaching?

> Anyway, abiword seems to do what I need.
>
> Let me know if there's anything lighter.

I'm not aware of anything lighter in the realm of word
processors. All "alternatives" are full office suites,
so the "single purpose" AbiWord (with less dependencies)
should be the closest match and the most efficient one.

It is even "file-compatible" with proprietary MICROS~1
products and offers a lot of the look & feel (which
contradicts "blind" touchtyping) of "Word", at least
some _older_ versions of it.

Teaching children an outdated version of some program
(which it _will_ be when they leave school) is not a good
idea. It creates confision and inefficient handling of
the wrong tools to do a job.

"I want this to be a heading, I'm at... chapter 3.5 now,
okay... this is 3.6 then. Then I select the text with the
mouse... wait... okay, now [B] as I need a fat typeface,
and maybe... make the text bigger... 15pt should be fine,
no, 17 pt is better. Some spaces here... space space space
space space, now it is centered. Good. Return Return Return,
and now I can start with the text."

Compare that _typical_ approach to simply applying the style
"Heading 2". And imagine the fun of changing font face, font
size or enumeration. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany