Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:34:07 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell P4 notebooks (4150/8xxx) dont work

Hi

I have serious issues with my new Dell 4150. stable buildworlds die at random points (between 5 and 12 minutes, whole compile takes about 30 mins). Sometimes, they finish without an error. Errors are internal compiler error with sig11 and sig4.

This lead me to the conclusion that the problem is either a heat or bad mem problem. I ruled out the heat problem, I put the laptop in my fridge (yeah, really) and the same things happened when compiling in there.

So it's bad memory or other bad hardware? Or could it be a freebsd problem.

How do your P4 Dells work? Are there any known issues with stable and those models? Because if there is someone with a 4150 out there who claims his buildworlds never fail, I can skip tests with some windows based tool and return the laptop to dell directly. I am not very experienced with win I have to add ;)

thanks, t.