Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 2020 14:34:41 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Did I miss something? [inatalling terminator]

On 4/20/20 2:19 PM, Jacques Foucry wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> According to this page (https://www.freshports.org/x11/terminator/), using
> latest as pkg repo, I should be able to install 'terminator'.
>
> But,
> ```
> sudo pkg install terminator
> Password :
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
> Updating database digests format: 100%
> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'terminator' have been found in the repositories
> ```
>
> pkg search terminator did not give me any awswer.
>
> So, what's wrong? What' your thought about it?

Nothing is wrong, this merely means that terminator is not built and
hence is not distributed as package. There may be several reasons for
that. I can think of some (without regard to any specific package:

1. software may need custom option choices, which may be diverse,
mutually exclusive and there is no reason to think one will be
reasonable prevailing choice by users

2. port may have trouble building, maybe sometimes

3. port may lag behind sometimes, and even it it is catching up, it is
not always up-to-date (port maintaner often really needs to thweak thigs
with every change of software)

4. port is orphaned, and there is no maintaner currently

5. - I'm sure there may be a bunch of other reasons, hopefully some
expert will add and/or correct me

What you can do is to build it yourself:

portsnap fetch extract

cd `find /usr/ports -name terminator`

make install clean

Valeri

> Thanks in advance for opening my eyes, there must be a detail that I did not
> see.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago