Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:57:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        nalists@scls.lib.wi.us (Greg Barniskis)
Cc:        David Larkin <david.larkin@djl.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Dual boot with XP

> David Larkin wrote:
> > I'm going to by a laptop with wondoze XP pre installed soon.
> >
> > The machine will have one IDE disk.
> >
> > Am I right in thinking that I can install FreeBSD also without having
> >  to re-install XP ?
> >
> > I"ve searched the mailing list and found info on how to achieve dual boot
> > with multiple disks< but how do i go about this, which I guess is a common
> > task ?
> >
> > Is there a tutorial out there in cyberspace somewhere ????
>
> Jerry gave a pretty complete answer. I have two cents to throw in:
>
> Consider reinstalling Windows instead of futzing with shrinking the
> partition to make room for FreeBSD. No question that it can be done,
> but as noted it may cost you for some commercial partition mgmt.
> software for NTFS. But that's not my reason.

Partition Magic was about $69 at Best Buy the last time I noticed it.
Amazon lists it for $21.99.   There also seems to be a Norton
Partition Magic.   Maybe Symantec either bought it or is reselling it.

Interesting perspective below.   MS sure does come with a lot of
unfriendly crap you might not want.

But, you will still want to make sure and install MS first and THEN FreeBSD.
That is because of you install FreeBSD first and then MS, it will overwrite
your MBR with its own and won't be able to boot FreeBSD.  You will have to
get out the fixit disk and tink with it.   It is a repairable situation
but annoying and an unnecessary extra bother.

////jerry