Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:52:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jason@dstc.edu.au, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

<<On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:33:57 -0700, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG> said:

> There won't be any one person taking charge of all the mirrors, the
> mirrors will have to rely on their individual admins to keep things
> straight.

Sounds like you totally missed Jason's point, again.

The people who run the mirrors need to know IN ADVANCE from the
release-engineering team how much data to expect and when.  My mirror
job was running several days behind last week since you did not give
me (and all the other mirror operators) an opportunity to clear out
sufficient disk space for 4.4-RC4.  This is a substantial investment
of resources on our part, and a small effort on your part is not
unreasonable to ask.

Furthermore, if the mirrors are to do any good at all, you need to
wait at least 24 hours after putting the bits on ftp-master.  Most
people's mirror jobs run once a day, in the early hours of the
morning.  I'm not going to sit here manually pushing the button every
few minutes just in case you put something up -- I do have an actual
job I'm supposed to be doing here -- but I'm perfectly willing to
manually grab the bits *given timely notice*.

If you publish the files first in 600 mode (readable only by whatever
user runs rsyncd on ftp-master), then it would be possible for all of
us to get the files well in advance without making the bits available
until all the t's are crossed.  (Assuming the mirror operators do like
I do and run rsync under a different uid than ftpd runs under.)

-GAWollman