Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:00:35 -0700
From:      Stephen Krauth <stephenk@anim.dreamworks.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Confusion between inside and outside domain names with natd

Ok, what I'd like to have is a NAT network that looks like a regular
university style network, in that the gateway appears to the outside world
with the same domain name as the machines on the inside. So DNS in the
outside world would resolve xyz.com to my gateway, and thus I could send
mail from the outside to xyz.com. Each machine on the inside would resolve
to machine.xyz.com, and thus mail sent from them to the outside will have
correct return addresses (as long as machine names are stripped from
addresses).

Right now I have one DNS serving two seperate zones; xyz.com for the
outside world and abc.org for the inside machines.  This causes other
grief besides the mail dilemma above (which is why a sendmail solution
doesn't appreal to me). I can't figure out how to make BOTH sides xyz.com
without stomping on each other.  Any ideas?  Is this impossible?  Thanks.

Steve K.                         _  The bureaucracy is expanding to meet
w 818.695.6772                      the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.