Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:23:18 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <akruijff@dds.nl>
To:        "Tracy, John" <tracy@covenant.edu>, <ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth control and counters

On Friday 07 March 2003 17:44, Tracy, John wrote:
> Greetings all,
> =09We're putting together a firewall for the primary purpose of
> ensuring fairness for a user base of around 600 students. We're
> looking at a copy of different models for controlling bandwidth. We
> will have an 3 megabit connection to our provider. We were looking at
> limiting connections to 128kbps, so each user could download data at
> about a megabyte a minute. The only problem with this is that it
> prevents students from using the full bandwidth potential when it
> might otherwise be unobtrusively available. Are there any good
> methods for permitting connections to use all available bandwidth
> unless other requests are made--and then fairly divide the available
> bandwidth so that it is equally (as much as possible) responsive for
> each user?
>
> And finally a last question... Were we to setup limits on
> transfers--like 2gigs in a week per IP address, does anybody know of
> any good FAQ's or guides of how to do this well?

I use ipa and ipfw for this all. The only problem i can come uit with is=20
that the configurations may be a bit large for you. I'm on a netwerk=20
with a small number of users so this doesn't bother me.

I could send you a configurations sample if you like. Let me know.

--=20
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex