Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 00:01:06 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        sheeme@corpcomm.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.xR: AIC7xxx driver vs. st() driver vs. tape drives

Jonathan M. Bresler stands accused of saying:
> >   Jun 20 23:01:02 Fridmani /kernel: st0(uha0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST \
> >      csi:10,8,0,0 asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB field replaceable unit: 2
> >   Jun 20 23:01:02 Fridmani /kernel: st0: Cannot set selected mode
>
> 	with release 2.0R, i get similar problems  using an archive viper 150,
> ncr810 and asus sp3g.
>
> st0(ncr1:5:0): illegal request
> st0: Cannot set selected modest0(ncr1:5:0): illegal request
> st0: Cannot set selected modest0: bad request, must be between 0 and 0

The two errors here are _very_ different.  The first is nasty, the
second is the 'media changed' "error".

> 	afterward a 'mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind' is enough to kick the
> drive/driver so i can use it.  strange.

No, normal.  Admittedly, the driver could be made smarter about it, but
that would break other things.  In reality, it's a flaw in the SCSI
spec, and has probably been addressed in later versions.

> Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com	| Analysis & Technology, Inc.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[