Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:44:11 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modular type GENERIC?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 07:26:04PM +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I was just wondering why we're not shipping a GENERIC type
> configuration that simply loads the modules at startup, rather than a
> statically linked kernel. I thought that was a large part of the push
> for the modular framework in years past.
..
> http://people.freebsd.org/~adrian/loader.conf

As you've shown the magic is in the loader.conf.  I don't know a good way
to handle this other than attempt to load every module (like Microsoft NT
installer does) - and hope the probe of a driver that doesn't claim a
device doesn't leave that device in a bad state.

Have you tried putting every module in /boot/kernel into loader.conf in a
"load" statement?

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)