Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:33:03 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for review: restart pccardd by SIGHUP

In message <200004061958.EAA15431@tasogare.imasy.or.jp> Mitsuru IWASAKI writes:
: OK, I can check map[i] != 0 if the resource is in use for each
: 8 bytes address.

Yes.  Assuming that your starting address is 8 byte aligned.

: > also get IRQs this way, which is bar far the most useful thing to do.
: >
: > Hmmm, come to think of it, you could use this just before allocating
: > resources to the card too if you wanted to.  It would be the most
: > flexible way to deal :-).
:
: Maybe we can get away from resource management in pccardd eventually :)

cd sys/compile/NEWCARD ; make :-)

: > BTW, on the topic of IRQs, I have two questions.  How would you feel
: > about making the default behavior of the pcic device to be polling
: > rather than using an interrupt.  This is a simple change to the config
: > file.  It should help on installations.  Second, I'd like make the
:
: I prefer polling mode because it works in most of cases and user can
: change to use interrupt easily by UserConfig or loader command.  I'm
: having `device pcic0 at isa? irq 0' line in my config file for a long time.

Yes.  I think that some thought should be given here since it would be
nice to do polling or irq routing from userconfig.  I like the irq 0
hack, I think.

: > default for the pcic to *NOT* share interrupts.  You'd have to set a
: > flag in the device to enable it.  This will also help people get
: > things setup correctly.
:
: I'm not sure about this, but I believe you :)

I've helped several people whose cardbus bridge was sharing an
interrupt with another device.  This caused problems.  Moving it fixed
the problem.

: > I know that the default polling is dangarous because it increases the
: > window of system hangs, but for system installs, this won't matter
: > because one generally doesn't pull the plug and expect things to work
: > :-)
:
: I'm using my development laptop in polling mode, but no serious
: problems so far in spite of hard testing :-)

Cool.  I've noticed a 2x increase of hanging.  One time in 100 (yes, I
did 100 insert/removes) with polling, one time in 190 with IRQ
managmenet interrupts.  This was on a lightly loaded network card.

Warner