Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:40:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        <ia64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i386 compatibility ...

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 03:51:22PM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
> > ... is coming along nicely:
> > I'll be trying to get shared libraries going next.
>
> Before you get too far ahead we should discuss shared libraries, as
> x86-64 will need to do this also.  Will we build i386 shared libs?  It
> seems we would want to.  Will we just have the user install a compat lib?
> Considering the speed at which -current moves....

Initially, I'm just going to copy a set from an i386 current box. Long
term, I'm not sure. Given that the main aim for this is for binary
compatiblity with FreeBSD/i386, perhaps a package containing a suitable
set of libraries from -stable would be sufficient?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160