Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:28:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, aw1@stade.co.uk
Subject:   Re: negative runtime etc.

Adrian Wontroba wrote:
 > Vclav Haisman wrote:
 > > Hi, I have loads of following messages in newly installed virtual server
 > > (under MS Virtual Server 2005 R2) running 6.2 RC1, I am even using the
 > > stock kernel. Can I fix this?
 > > Dec 16 18:33:27 shell kernel: calcru: negative runtime of -553620 usec
 > > for pid 76484 (zsh)
 > > Dec 16 18:33:27 shell kernel: calcru: runtime went backwards from
 > > 1004708 usec to 791507 usec for pid 655 (sendmail)
 >
 > You can reduce them somewhat by using a slower clock tick and perhaps a
 > different timecounter:
 >
 > ==> /boot/loader.conf <==
 > kern.hz="200"
 >
 > ==> /etc/sysctl.conf <==
 > kern.timecounter.hardware=ACPI-safe
 >
 > The above reduced my errors to a few hundred a day and improved time
 > keeping. Setting up the host as an NTP server and running
 > ntpdate once a minute seems to have sufficed to keep time accurate
 > enough for my needs.

Just a small note:  It does not make sense to run ntpd _and_
ntpdate at the same time.  Usually it is sufficient to just
run "ntpd -g" (ntpdate is obsolete anyway and will be removed
from future versions of the ntp software).

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's
UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to
where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."
        -- Terry Lambert, FreeBSD-hackers mailing list.