Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:20:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: qmail IO--qmail vs postfix competition

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Dan Phoenix wrote:

> Just curious how you pull this off?
> so 4 million/30=133 thousand emails per mail server roughly.
> So how do you distribute between the machines evenly ....into ezmlm as
> well?

We use Alteon load balancers to take care of the balancing part, after
that, qmail just works. We did add a hack for a deferral server option to
qmail, meaning after 10 minutes of undeliverable mail (configurable), the
mail gets tossed to another server that tries for up to 2 days before
discarding.  This keeps our frontline mailservers from dealing with all
the people that can't spell hotmail.com (you wouldn't believe the number).
The frontline mailservers peaked at about 600-800 messages in the queue
when sending out the 4 million while the deferral servers were sitting
about 10000 messages (up from a normal 7000 or so, also we had 8 deferrals
in rotation).

Also of importance is that we are whitelisted everywhere possible to make
sure that we are rate limited on the amount of mail we send (aol is a good
example of that).

I think that describes the general gist of our mail situation.

-gordon