Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 01:31:21 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Gary Palmer" <gjp@in-addr.com>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

[.....]
>     Frankly, I have to agree that no dynamic dialup user should be allowed
>     to connect through to port 25 on anything but the ISPs own mail server.

Today, port 25... tomorrow the *WORLD* ha ha ha ha haaaaa !

An interesting extension:  If an AOL MX receives a message with an
AOL from address from a non-AOL relay it's accepted for delivery and
dropped in the bit-bucket.  Well, it's obviously spam (isn't it?) !

As I've stated before, default policies to prevent spam are fine - we
all agree there.  But those policies must be published (they are at
least not understood by AOL subscribers - I don't know if they're
published) and any ISP that didn't remove them on demand (after
subscription payment or some other guarantee) wouldn't get my money
I'm afraid.  The reasons why have already been mentioned by others.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>