Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:02:43 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ES1888 in DELL Lattitude XPi 133ST

I am trying to get the sound to work in my DELL Latitude XPi
133ST. The sound card is listed as an ES1888. I have tried both the
VOXWARE and Luigi's drivers. I search of the mail archived turned up
some other questions about this system, but not a lot of answers. I
seem to have gotten both to find the card, but that seems to be the
end of the road.

Here is how I have tried the VOXWARE driver,

  controller      snd0
  #device pas0     at isa? port 0x388 irq 10 drq 6
  #device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
  device sb0      at isa? port 0x230 irq 5 drq 1
  device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
  device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
  #device awe0     at isa? port 0x620
  #device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 1
  #device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 1 flags 0x3
  #device mss0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 10 drq 1
  #device css0    at isa? port 0x534 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x08
  #device sscape0  at isa? port 0x330 irq 9 drq 0
  #device trix0    at isa? port 0x330 irq 6 drq 0
  #device sscape_mss0  at isa? port 0x534 irq 5 drq 1
  device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
  #device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 irq 6 drq 0
  #device uart0 at isa? port 0x330 irq 5

The corresponding dmesg output on boot was,

  sb0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
  Hmm... Could this be an ESS688 based card (rev 11)
  snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
  sbxvi0 not found
  sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
  opl0 at 0x388 on isa
  snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>

If I actually try to make a sound,

  % cat sound.au > /dev/audio
  SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd3) timeout. IRQ conflict ?

Is what I get.

I've tried some other things with VOXWARE. Since, sbxvi0 and sbmidi0
were not found, I cut them from the config, but then I get,

  sb0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
  Hmm... Could this be an ESS688 based card (rev 11)

  NOTE! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!
  snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
  opl0 at 0x388 on isa
  snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>

Now moving on to the pcm0 driver. All I did for that was,

  #device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
  device pcm0 at isa? port 230 tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0

And got,

  pcm0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
  ESS1868 (rev 11)

But when I try to use it,

  % cat sound.au > /dev/audio
  timeout flushing dbuf_out, chan 1 cnt 0x7414 flags 0x00000441

Does anyone have one of these working or can offer a pointer to more
info?