Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:16:38 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM (ggate) compression consumer +problem

João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
> Instead of block compression, wouldn't it be better (and maybe easier)
> to use file compresion, in a VFS layer (and a threaded daemon)?

Better, yes. Easier very much not, since I know something about GEOM
(actually, ggate), and nothing about VFS and kernel internals. Also, as
others mentioned, even files would need to be compressed in blocks, to
allow for random seeking...

> This is what I would like to see in a compressed file system.

I agree :)

But, I still can't solve the wdrain problem. I've tried it on a recent
BETA6 kernel and it still remains. Writes get slower and slower
(actually, the frequency of writes), and then something locks up (with
no CPU usage...). Sometimes, *any* writes to any filesystem lock up.

Should I take it to geom@ list? It doesn't seem to be developer-oriented.