Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:44:12 +0200
From:      Frank Sonnemans <fs.mail@wanadoo.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: KDE 2.2 various issues

Since I saw some great workarounds on this list for some of the problems I
exprienced with KDE2.2 on FreeBSD 4.4 Pre. I would like to try my luck with
some more open issues:

- It seems Konquerer runs as Root. When I (try) to create a program shortcut
on the desktop, unpack an tar archive from the file browser, the created
files are owned by root. This truly annoying since I have to su to change the
file permissions. Also it creates a gaping *security hole* with unpacked
archives containing executables.

- kscd doesn't work. When I set the correct setting for the cdrom device
/dev/acd0c (mode 755), the application crashes with signal 11.

- DCOP fails during startup (startx command). Mostly corrected by giving a
second startx command.

Any suggestions to correct these (minor) problems would be appreciated.

In general though KDE2.2 runs great, even though it did not get the loading
speed improvements that it got under Linux.

Regards,

Frank