Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:31:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        iyengar <SanatanaDharma@email.msn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio1 problem, ppp problem and 3com 3c905B-TX problem

On Sunday,  4 October 1998 at 21:14:22 -0700, iyengar wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers with 3 specific
> problems I am running into.
>
> I have a new Dell Dimension XPS R400. It has an internal modem which windows
> shows as hooked up to COM2. I checked the IRQ=3 and the port address=0x100.
> The IO range is 0x100 - 0x107.
> I changed the sio1 port address using userconfig from the default to 0x100.
>
> FreeBSD (2.2.7) comes up with the following messages :
>
> Sio1: Configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> Sio1: irq maps 0x1 0x1 0x1 0x1
> Sio1: Probe failed test(s): 1 4 6 7 9
> Sio1: not found at 0x100

Oops, my last reply was incorrect.  I saw COM2, and thought you were
talking about sio2.

Is there anything else in the dmesg output which would help?
Theoretically you might be suffering from the sio problems described
at http://www.lemis.com/serial-port-patch.html, but I haven't heard of
that on Dells (though of course the fact that it's a modem might
change things).  The I/O addresses are definitely funny; normally a
serial port is at 0x3f8 (primary) and 0x2f8 (secondary).  Could it be
that Microsoft is lying?

If it's the serial port bug described on the web page, it's fixed both
in 2.2-STABLE and 3.0 (which looks like it's what you want anyway).

Greg